Lightning Talk Guidelines - Fall Focus
- Offers an opportunity for speakers to present exciting ideas and programs that do not require the length of a longer talk
- Offers a variety of topics to a large audience without them having to change locations
- Talks should be energetic, exciting, challenging
- Each talk lasts no more than seven minutes each
- The moderator will play each speaker's pre-recorded video at specific time intervals; each video will be seven minutes or less
- Once a recording is done playing, there will be a short, live Question/Answer period where the presenter will answer for three minutes questions pulled from the chat by the moderator
- Make a point and explain it quickly (though do not rush)
- Don’t get caught up in background info (no more than two minutes, max)
- Only include details if they are necessary and fit within the overall scope for such a short presentation
- Slides should show things to the audience, not help presenter remember what to talk about
- Provide contact info somewhere (e.g., on the last slide) in presentation materials
- For the Q&A portion, remember you only have three minutes -- keep your answers as short as reasonably possible; if while answering you realize that there are additional important details you'd like to share, consider offering to have the questioner email you for follow-up discussion.
- Visit this link for recommendations on how to record your lightning talk in either PowerPoint or Zoom. You are welcome to use another product as long as you are able to submit the file as an MP4.
- Upload your MP4 by November 8, 2023; the link to this Dropbox folder was sent to you via email on October 20, 2023
If There Are Any Problems...
- The moderator from LOEX will be ready to assist